A couple of weeks ago, I needed to search for an email that was probably a year old. I tried to use the search feature of mail app on iPhone but the search came up empty. I knew the email had to be in my account, but for some reason it wasn't coming up. I remembered that Google had a separate email app you can download and that if I was going to find the email, using the app made by Google would probably be the best way.
I had tried the Gmail app when it first came out a while ago but it was horrible. It was slow and extremely buggy and I deleted it pretty quickly.
This time though I found it to look, and work much better. I found the email I was looking for in seconds, and the experience was so good that I deleted my Gmail account from the built in iPhone mail app and started using the Google app exclusively for my Gmail account.
A few reasons why this has been working out really well for me:
- Since most of my email is done using my work account, I can keep each separate now. This helps to navigate mailboxes easier as well as stop accidentally sending personal email from my work email address by mistake.
- I have multiple Gmail accounts and the new app supports fast switching between them.
- Thank you for a new email sound! So refreshing!!! I really think Apple needs to come up with a few new sounds for email to freshen things up a bit. I am getting sick of the stock email sound and the other sounds they offer aren't that great.
- Works great in notification center. This was a huge problem when I first tried the app. I would get tons of notifications for just one email.
- The Gmail App flat out looks and works really well.
Gmail was already the service a LOT of people use for their email, and now Google is getting so much better at mobile software design (where Apple just isn't keeping up these days).
I'm glad I made the switch and if you haven't given it a try, I suggest downloading the Gmail app today.